The
fading luminescence of the afternoon sky never failed to mesmerize me. And
today it was no different as I was gazing at it for long until a loud voice
broke my chain of thoughts.
“Look
at me!!”, Mr.Sen shouted and I realized that it was not a good idea to look
outside the window during his class. He loved Physics more than he loved his
students and I was sure that he was going to kick me out of the class. “What is
the relation between refractive index of a medium and speed of light in it?”,
he asked me. The room was even darker now and I wondered why darkness makes us
feel low sometimes. I was completely clueless about the answer and soon he
ordered me to leave the classroom and more than a punishment it sounded like
the best offer to me. But it felt bad to leave alone as my best friend Rahul
was inside and he took the window seat now. I wished he gazed at the window but
he was attentive.
***
The
school bell rang making me realize that my wait for Rahul was over. It had
already started raining and we decided to head to the nearest tea-shop to have
a shelter.
“You
know, light is not just what he says it is”, he broke the silence.
“What
do you mean?”
“Physics
explains that light is some wave or particle, or whatever. That may be true but
I feel it’s something more”
“I
really don’t get you. Can you explain a bit?”
“The
way darkness makes us feel low, the way a man looks at bright light after
spending years in the prison, the way a man lost in the forest follows the
source of light – I feel light is something more than you think it is. Light is
hope. Light is…”
I interrupted him, “Hey
wait. Now this is too much! I know you wanted to be a writer and you’re really
good at literature. You’re good at explaining things in a different way but why
don’t you pursue your interest? Do you really love Physics? I mean, the way you
were listening to him made me wonder!”
“You know the difference
between Science and Arts?”
“Well, Science is about
discovering new things, I mean, the things which are already present and Art is
all about creation.”
“But we created computers,
cell-phones, and many advanced gadgets. Isn’t it creation of Science?”
“Yeah, I mean, if you…”
He interrupted me, “Science
is the required technology. People used the technology to build those but
actually this is our art. This is art taking help from Science. You still don’t
think they are closely related? Okay, now answer this. What is the greatest
creation in this world?”
I started thinking but
suddenly the cell-phone interrupted me. It was my mother. She sounded worried
as I was late. I got up to leave as the rain was over but I didn’t forget Rahul’s
question.
***
Roof top was an interesting
place to hang out. He often came to my house to study together and when we were
done, we spent hours looking at the starry sky. Sometimes we discussed our
study, sometimes music or films. It was really a fun. But today, it was
different.
“Can you see that bright
star over there? Let’s stare at it.”, he told me pointing out a star at the
middle of the sky.
“Stare at that?! Why?”
“Just do it!”
We both started gazing at
it.
“What do you see now?”,
after a few minutes he asked.
“It feels like there is a
bright spot at the middle and the whole world is black! I don’t know why but I
can’t see anything else.”
“What do you think it
signifies? I mean – ‘a bright spot in the middle of nowhere’ Does it mean
something?”
“Hey! You know I’m not good
at explaining these things, I mean, metaphors and all that. Tell me what you
think about it.”
“It feels like – the bright
spot is the life on earth in the middle of nowhere. The whole world is so dark
that it’s not visible. There is only one source of light. That is life. To me,
nothing looks brighter than that.”
I
said, “Do you remember that you asked me about the greatest creation in this
world? I think I know it now”.
No comments:
Post a Comment